Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cross Country 4km Race

Oct 6 – Don’s Harrier Memorial 4K, Sunnybrooke Park, Toronto 

The day after my 50km race at Pinehurst, I raced a 4km with my team The Newmarket Huskies.

 As I limped out of bed Sunday morning, sore for running over 4h30 Saturday, I was thankful for the 1pm start of this race. After breakfast, coffee and a much too short visit, my family and I were back on the road, driving from London to Sunnybrooke park in Toronto.

 After my warmup, and some strides, I toed the line with my amazing teammates. My last thoughts were, 'this is going to hurt'! I am grateful the race was only 4km. I held a comfortable pace for the first 2k, pushed the big hill, and was patient threw kilometre 3.5.

 With 2nd place female just ahead of me, I thought, 'I could push for 2 more minutes, I suffered for the last 2 hours yesterday...what's 2 minutes today?' I passed her.

 Now, my sights were on the 1st place female. I wasn't far behind her. Could I push even harder?
My brain started calculating again: 'what's 30 more seconds?' PUSH, PUSH, PUSH!.

It worked out in my favour. I took over the lead and won the race by a short 3 seconds, with a time of 15:43. Whoohoo!

No comments:

Proud athlete of:

Proud Ambassador of:

Proud Athlete of Icespike

Proud Athlete of Icespike
Order Now!